New Alternative firmware for DPS3003... DPS5020
- Rigorous technical design.
- Large digits on the display. 3- or 4-digit display
- Ten memorized values and ten preset for charging Li-ion batteries.
- Menu for setting each memory cell.
- General settings menu.
- Calibration menu.
- Screen rotation.
- Indication of the charge of the external power supply battery.
- Possibility of connecting additional modules: a gyro sensor for screen rotation and a digital thermometer with an additional fan.
- Changing the color of the indication at the user’s choice.
- Control via USB (Com-port) or bluetooth.
- Firmware update via USB/UART
- Compatible with Chinese control software.
You can change the voltage and amperage after pressing buttons V or A. Rotate the knob to select menu or counters pages. Navigate menu items using up and down buttons. To leave any menu without saving changes just push ON/OFF button.
At the main screen push SET button and rotate the knob to select memory cell. There are 20 memory cells:
- M0..M9 – ordinary memory preset.
- C0…C9 – for Li-Ion battery charge. You can’t change its voltage.
Output power on/off
When you turn on the output power, the display color changes. CV (constant voltage) or CC (constant current) mode is displayed.
Changing voltage and current while output is on
You can change the values after pressing buttons V or A.
The adjustment range is limited to avoid overvoltage.
Output level indicator
Depending on CV or CC mode you can see the level of output:
- In CV mode – The level is output current as a percentage of “I set”.
- In CC mode – The level is output voltage as a percentage of “U set”.
Smart or Normal display
Now you can select between 3-digit or 4-digit display.
Go to “Parameters” menu, the item “Smart Display” to change the selection.
Press the “V” button to select the voltage range.
Press the “A” button to select the current range.
Press the “SET” button to select the mode:
- Single voltage beam
- Single current beam
- Both beams. Voltage ahead
- Both beams. Current ahead
Whenever the U setting or I setting is changed, the autorange function starts and changes the ranges.
Rotate the knob to go to the counter screen.
Push “SET” button for 3 seconds to reset counters.
Memory cells settings menu
When output is off rotate the knob to go to different menu. Use arrow-up and arrow-down buttons to navigate through menu items. The selected item is blinking and go green. Change value with the knob.
If you wish to save changes select “Save?” – Yes and then “Exit”.
To leave menu without saving just push “ON/OFF” button.
- OVP – Over Voltage Protection.
- OCP – Over Current Protection.
- OPP – Over Power Protection.
- Soft Front – When turned on, the voltage increases gradually.
- Temp. – Tempearture and choice of Celsius or Fahrenheit.
- Overheat – The temperature when output will be turned off.
- Smart display – Three or four digit display.
- Battery source – The main page displays the state of charge of the input battery. Used for Li-ion powered mobile DPS.
- Max Memory – Determines how many memory cells will be available to the user using the “SET” button.
- Reset counters – Specifies the behavior of the counters. If set to Yes, the counters will be reset each time the output is turned on.
Hold the M1 (arrow-up) button after power-on during the logo screen. For the first few seconds, the device looks for a bluetooth connection.
Baud Rate and Modbus Address should be the same as in PC/Android application.
Please note: The pin code is stored in the BT module itself, and not in the internal memory of the PSU.
BT connected – means BT board found. No matter connection with PC/Android device.
The “BT Debug” menu item allows you to see the AT command passed to the BT module. Whites are commands and greens are answers.
Restore default configuration
Hold “SET” button after power-on during the logo screen.
If you choose Restore? Yes, all memory and calibration settings will be erased and replaced with the default.
There is a choice of hardware version. This is necessary for various revisions of printed circuit boards for calibration to work.
Screen rotation menu
Hold “M2” (arrow-down) button after power-on during the logo screen.
Set ” Rotate” to ” Yes”.
Then go to “Position” menu item and select the rotation.
The automatic screen rotation is available with external MPU6050 Gyroscope Sensor .
You can place the sensor in any position and then set the correct screen rotation in this menu.
Push rotary knob to lock-unlock device buttons.
NOTE: When device is connected with PC/Android application all the buttons are locked automatically.
When the power output is on, press and hold “SET” button for 3 seconds.
The calibration procedure is pretty straightforward. You only need a multimeter and an external power supply. Do not use a load during calibration.
The basic principle of calibration is to define two points – LOW point and HIGH point. For example, we can calibrate the input voltage at 6 V (low point) and 25 V (high point). It’s enough.
The low and high points are already preset in the device, but you must enter the correct values displayed on the multimeter.
Navigate menu item by pressing arrow up and down buttons. To start item press “SET” button. When the item blinking set correct value by the knob. To apply the value push the rotary knob for 3 second. The applied value goes blue. To store the changes select “Save?” – Yes and then “Exit”.
To achieve greater accuracy, repeat the calibration procedure 2 or 3 times.
If something goes wrong, you can restore the default settings at any time.
NOTE. Select I out H current value suitable for the maximum current of the multimeter.
If the calibration doesn’t work – READ HERE
Since firmware version 3.8 a page with calibration data has been added. This page is mainly for information. Do not manually change the values on this page unnecessarily.
If you have a revision with a different hardware version and the calibration values differ significantly from the default ones, you can send me a photo of the VALUE-ADC-DAC page with a description of your model so that I can use your data in the next firmware revisions. firstname.lastname@example.org
Firmware Update via USB/UART
Press “ON/OFF” button after enabling power during the logo screen to enter the “Update mode”.
When the screen goes black, you can upload new firmware using STM32CubeProgrammer (or ST’s old Flasher / or DPSmaster application).
Connect USB cable to PC, start STM32CubeProgrammer, select UART, then correct COM port (any baudrate, but with parity “EVEN”), click “Connect” and start programming.
NOTE: The update doesn’t work via bluetooth because your BT whistle on PC can’t transmit “EVEN ” parity.
Connecting additional modules
Starting with firmware version 3.6, it is possible to connect an external gyro sensor to rotate the screen.
Starting with firmware version 3.7, it is possible to connect an external digital temperature sensor and an additional cooling fan.
DPSmaster is Windows PC application for communicate to RIDEN DPS (Digital Power Suplly) via USB or Bluetooth:
Single application for all models. The application is 5Mb executable file without installation and any middleware. It works with stock and alternative firmware.
A WARNING ABOUT CHARGING BATTERIES
Connecting any rechargeable batteries directly to the output of the unit can crash the DPS device !!!
- In case of polarity reversal – 100% failure of any DPS model.
- When the output voltage of the power supply is turned off, the voltage from the battery will flow back to the power supply. This could damage it. And it 100% burns the DPS5020 / 5015 !!!
- These features are associated with the circuitry of the power supplies and do not depend on the firmware.
- Information about charging in the official manufacturers article is NOT CORRECT!!! https://budgetlightforum.com/node/68429
- To avoid the above charging problems, use an additional diode as shown in the figure below. Consider the amperage and voltage drop across the diode when charging.
- If you find it difficult to understand the above problems, do not charge the batteries using DPS power supplies, use specialized chargers instead.
Copyright 2022 – profi-max